Thursday 4 June 2009

Vote Cast



At 8:55pm I got into my car, drove to the polling station for the second time.
I parked up down the road and assessed the situation. I was nervous as hell. Nothing to do with my inner ear. It was pure anxiety.

I got out the car. looked around. My car was here. It's not going anywhere. I walked slowly up the road as i wrapped my scarf around my mouth. This felt comforting. Gave me a security blanket for the mind.

I stood outside the polling station. There was a few cars parked up. A few more than I had expected to be honest ! last year it was dead when I went. Oh dear. I looked around. Instead of marching in high on anxiety, I did something that i had read on Kate's blog. I assessed my situation. I took slow and calming breaths. I pretended I was waiting for someone. Haha.

15 mins later I was finally ready to walk in. I took a deep breath and stepped into the hall. There, behind a long table, sat an old lady, an old man and a very sexy young lady. This was instantly pleasing. She looked at me, I looked at her. Even though I was fucking anxious, I nearly made a comment...

"Can I vote for you?"

But no. That could be her mum and dad sat there.

Instead I gave her a smile as i handed in my card.
The old man passed me the voting form and i parked myself in a booth where I voted for *** *****. I popped my vote into the box and said goodbye, with a massive smile on my face.

I made myself count with a vote. I overcame anxiety. Pure win :)

2 comments:

  1. Wicked stuff that you actually went back after your initial set back Dave- thats the key to it, the more you do it the more confidence you get. I managed the shop yesterday on my own- To me thats brilliant! haha.

    But well done- you should be proud.
    Dave 1- Anxiety 0

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emma :)

    Just found out that bloody labour only lost one seat. Pah. More should of got out (i'm pretty sure many people DONT have a fear of going out!) Turn out was 36%. That's lame. Hope you have a good day x

    ReplyDelete